Friday, February 25, 2011

Vixen: I hate everything

So I'm about a quarter of the way done with this ass of a project. No it's not an ass. I'm sorry don't be like that. I'm just bitter with it because I've spent the greater part of three weeks agonizing over typography and Victorian buildings.

However, I'm back to drawing trees and ladies and everything will be better from this point. (at least that's what I'm telling myself) I actually made a typeface for this comic. Which was mostly painful, but I'm happy how it came out.

Click for download

You can download it if you wish. It looks a little janky as display or document type, but as far as readable Victorian comic type I'm pretty satisfied. Especially since there were 900 kerning pairs and oh god the kerning. Dreadful.

Here it is in context of the comic (also backgrounds why).


This is the last time I write a comic in a historical setting (no it's not). Stupid buildings.

Anyway. I may start posting pages online somewhere as I finish them. Not sure though. Still mulling over how this whole printing thing is going to happen and how I have to time it with putting it on the web.

I also may do a more detailed look into how I make pages with these. From like, thumbnails to inks. I've been meaning to do it for awhile for when people ask, but have never gotten around to it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'd love to see the project finish after all the teasers and production art you post~

    Just a wonder, what do you use to make the font, and what are kerning pairs?

    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll be posting pages online soon so you'll actually be able to read it~

    I hand lettered the font traditionally and then scanned it in at a super high resolution and used live trace in illustrator to turn them into vectors. I then used Font Lab Studio to scale and set the typeface and assign kerning pairs. Kerning pairs are sets of letters where the kerning is manually adjusted to fit the shape of the letters.

    For example, "WA" has a kerning pair because the W and A are shifted closer together than they would have had they been using the default kerning guidelines.

    @~@ Typography is complicated. There are a bunch of articles online that go into it more coherently than I can, but in a nutshell, kerning is a pain in the ass.

    ReplyDelete